[Buildroot] equivalent of a 'make modules'

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Nov 23 14:23:39 UTC 2011

Le Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:17:24 -0600,
"Jeff Krasky" <jeff.krasky at dspcg.com> a écrit :

> > Drawbacks: it might actually be *harder* to achieve than
> >   to create a package in Buildroot, and your build process is no
> >   longer nicely integrated.
>
> Is the 'make modules' idea considered hard?

It doesn't make any sense for Buildroot to provide "make modules". This
is a *Linux* build target, not a *Buildroot* build target. You
certainly don't need Buildroot to provide "make modules" to build
external kernel modules outside of Buildroot.

I would need to look at how EtherCAT works to provide more details here.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons