[Buildroot] Adding Microblaze support to Buildroot

Spenser Gilliland spenser309 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 09:07:39 UTC 2011

I've been trying to get the buildroot to work but I have been
stonewalled by the following error.  Not quite sure where to go from
here.  Anyone have some input?

  INSTALL include ->
/home/spenser/Research/buildroot/buildroot/output/toolchain/uClibc_dev//usr/include
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/spenser/Research/buildroot/buildroot/output/toolchain/uClibc'
# Install the kernel headers to the first stage gcc include dir
# if necessary
if [ ! -f /home/spenser/Research/buildroot/buildroot/output/toolchain/uClibc_dev/usr/include/linux/version.h
]; then \
		cp -pLR /home/spenser/Research/buildroot/buildroot/output/toolchain/linux/include/*
\
			/home/spenser/Research/buildroot/buildroot/output/toolchain/uClibc_dev/usr/include/;
\
	fi
/home/spenser/Research/buildroot/buildroot/output/host/usr/bin/microblaze-unknown-linux-uclibc-gcc
-nostdlib -nostartfiles -shared -x c /dev/null -o
/home/spenser/Research/buildroot/buildroot/output/toolchain/uClibc_dev/usr/lib/libc.so
/tmp/cceEeb5C.o: could not read symbols: No error
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [/home/spenser/Research/buildroot/buildroot/output/toolchain/uClibc/.configured]
Error 1

Spenser

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 2:58 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
> Le Tue, 22 Nov 2011 09:52:24 +0100,
> Stephan Hoffmann <sho at relinux.de> a écrit :
>
>> is there an interest in adding the Microblaze architecture to
>> buildroot?
>
> Definitely, yes.
>
>> And, if it is, would it be acceptable to rely on toolchain and/or
>> bootloader coming from the board vendor or Xilinx, at least for some
>> time?
>
> Yes. It is possible to use the external toolchain mechanism. For
> example, the Blackfin support relies on an external toolchain provided
> by ADI, I'm not sure the internal Buildroot code to build a toolchain
> works for Blackfin. So doing the same for Microblaze seems reasonable.
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas
> --
> Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
> Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux
> development, consulting, training and support.
> http://free-electrons.com

Spenser Gilliland
Computer Engineer
Illinois Institute of Technology