[Buildroot] systemd

Robert Schwebel r.schwebel at pengutronix.de
Sun Nov 20 19:15:21 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:09:44PM +0100, Peter Korsgaard wrote:
>  Belisko> when looking for ELCE 2011 videos one video was very
>  Belisko> interesting:http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference-europe/kooi
>  Belisko> There is a lot of discussion about decreasing boot time for embedded
>  Belisko> systems and systemd seems not yet included in buildroot (OE have it
>  Belisko> also angstrom).

ptxdist has systemd support as well. We are in fact migrating all our
newer BSPs to systemd.

> Notice that systemd pulls in quite some dependencies, so it might not
> really be a net gain in the end depending on your setup - In Koens
> presentation he mentioned that his OE setup spends more than a minute
> from init to finished booting, which is quite far from a typical
> buildroot boot.

Our impression after half a year of experience with systemd in embedded
scenarios is that it is worth the effort. The whole beast is a really,
really great idea, because it solves so many standard problems in a very
clean and clever way. However, don't expect magic when it comes to boot
times. The old strategy that a system boots the quicker the less it does
is still vaild. If you do a lot of things, it will take it's time.

Where we find it helpful is:

- have a clean abstraction of "services"
- be able to deal with services via an API (not just scripts)
- integration of application scenarios ontop of a base operating system
- watchdog handling (we are trying to integrate watchdog into systemd
  mainline)
- security aware environments (it may be possible to run systems without
  a shell)
- and of course all the other selling points which have been outlined by
  the systemd people.

rsc