[Buildroot] RFC: package patching

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Nov 15 19:14:38 UTC 2011

<patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com> writes:
> Hi,
>
>  Thomas> I think we should try and improve this.
>
>  Thomas> A first approach could be to simply remove support for
>  Thomas> foo-1.2.3-something.patch, and require version-specific patches to
> be Thomas> in a versioned subdirectory, package/foo/foo-1.2.3. For this,
> we Thomas> should remove line 02-04. In this case, common patches are
> applied Thomas> first, followed by versioned patches in subdirectories.
>
> Yes, I know - We hit this with E.G. busybox in the past. I would go for
> the versioned-patches-in-subdir, as we (luckily) only support multiple
> versions for a limited number of packages.

 While we're at it, I would also make it policy to not include the version
number in the patch, except for packages with multiple active versions.  Now,
when you're upgrading a package, you also have to do a lot of renames of
patches.

 Note that this fix will require renames of rougly 300 files...

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540