[Buildroot] Report from the Buildroot Developer Day

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Mon Nov 7 12:25:48 UTC 2011

Le Mon, 7 Nov 2011 13:09:36 +0100,
Sam Ravnborg <sam at ravnborg.org> a écrit :

> The tags seems to be used in different ways. The way I have understood
> their usage - and thus the way I have used them is like this:
>
> Acked-by is used when I think that a patch does the right thing.
> For example when it introduces a a new feature or change something -
> and which I consider it the right thing to do.
>
> Reviewed-by is stronger in the sense that I have actually taking my
> time to carefully read the patch line-by-line and that I consider
> that the patch is correct.
> I almost never use "Reviewed-by" for patches touching code areas
> that I am not familiar with - as I do not know if they are correct.
> Reviewed-by includes an implicit Acked-by as I would not spend time
> to review something if I did not agree on the patch.

Interestingly, my understanding is more or less the opposite of yours.
For me:

 * Reviewed-by means that you have read the patch and agree with its
   principle and general implementation, but not that you have actually
   tested and verified that the patch works. The top-level maintainer
   will have to do additional testing because you haven't done so.

 * Acked-by is much stronger, as it means that you fully agree with the
   patch, that you reviewed it *and* tested it, and that the top-level
   maintainer does not necessarily need to do additional testing if he
   trusts you, because Acked-by means that you have actually tested
   this.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons