[Buildroot] Buildroot root fs over NFS bug

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Jun 29 14:57:45 UTC 2011

Hello,

Please don't reply to me directly, but to the Buildroot list instead.

Le Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:15:14 +0200,
Jigar SOLANKI <jigar.solanki at labri.fr> a écrit :

> Thanks a lot for the reply.
> You were absolutely right, my bad, I wasnt mounting my root filesystem
> over NFS, it was just an initramfs.
>
> I deactivated the initramfs support in the kernel config and it mounts
> just fine.
>
> My question, just to be sure, is : why the kernel wasnt  mounting it
> before, even if it had everything in his command line (and even if the
> initramfs support was activated ?) It should have mounted it, right ?

If you have an initramfs, then the kernel uncompresses it at boot time,
and executes the /init script/application in this initramfs. And that's
all the kernel does when an initramfs is present: it's the job of the
initramfs initialization procedure to mount the real root filesystem
and switch to it.

So if you have an initramfs, it's normal not to see the typical:

  VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem) on device 0:14.

message in your boot log.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons