[Buildroot] Generic serial port disappear after udev started

Dwi Sasongko Supriyadi ruckuus at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 16:41:40 UTC 2011

Hello List,

Normally i put getty on serial port which is /dev/ttySAC0 and so far there
is no issue with it, but after udev installed and started, the system
complains that it can not find /dev/ttySAC0.

VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
Freeing init memory: 624K
Populating /dev using udev: done
Starting portmap: done
Initializing random number generator... done.
Starting system message bus: Failed to start message bus: The pid file
"/var/run/messagebus.pid" exists, if the message bus is not running, remove
this file
done
Starting network...
ifup: interface lo already configured
Starting sshd: /var/empty must be owned by root and not group or
world-writable.
OK
/etc/init.d/dhcp-relay not yet configured! - Aborting...
/etc/init.d/dhcp-server not yet configured! - Aborting...
Starting HAL daemon: done
can't open /dev/ttySAC0: No such file or directory
can't open /dev/ttySAC0: No such file or directory

I thought that there is issue with udev rules and this could be related with
device_table.txt, but it seems wrong. When I added following line to
device_table.txt

/dev/ttySAC     c       666     0       0       204     64      0       1
    4

udev rules (etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules) does not change. Then I
edit etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules manually added following line:

KERNEL=="ttySAC[0-3]*",       NAME="%k", OWNER="root"  GROUP="tty",
MODE="0660"

but still, the system complains that it can not find /dev/ttySAC0

Could anyone please point me to the right direction?

Currently I am still looking for the answer on Google as well as udev
manual, when it solved I will post it.

Thanks in advance,
DWI