[Buildroot] [pull request] Pull request for branch for-2011.08/debugging-improvements

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Jul 14 13:36:38 UTC 2011

Le Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:27:33 +0200,
Peter Korsgaard <jacmet at uclibc.org> a écrit :

> Next to the size impact (which I agree is not a big problem) there's
> also potentially a build time impact. Did you test this?

Here is the result of a fairly big build for ARM (X.org, Gtk2, WebKit,
Midori), on a fairly big machine (quad-core, 12 GB of RAM), build was
done with BR2_JLEVEL=16, and the build does not include a toolchain (I
used an existing internal toolchain).

Without debugging symbols
=========================

 * Real time:	 		51 minutes
 * User time:			200 minutes
 * System time:	 		14 minutes
 * Size of output directory:	3.4 GB
 * Size of staging directory:	445 MB
 * Size of target directory:	102 MB

With debugging symbols

 * Real time:			58 minutes
 * User time:			232 minutes
 * System time:			16 minutes
 * Size of output directory:	9.0 GB
 * Size of staging directory:	2.0 GB
 * Size of target directory:    102 MB

So, I'd say we should drop my patch 2/4.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons