[Buildroot] Changing from NFS root filesystem to embedded within kernel

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Wed Feb 23 17:10:24 UTC 2011

Hi Guillaume,

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 06:03:40PM +0100, Guillaume Dargaud wrote:
> It's probably a simple question, but I'm a bit confused by what I found
> searching this question.
> I have a buildroot system which currently boots remotely via DHCP+NFS.
> The following is both in the dts file and as the kernel parameter line:
> console=ttyUL0,115200 rw root=/dev/nfs ip=bootp
>
> Now I would like to package the kernel with the filesystem embedded in it.
> That's what initramfs is for, right ?
>
> In buildroot, I generated a CPIO filesystem, and in the kernel compile options
> I told it to use that file as an initramfs.
>
> Now all I need is to change the kernel parameter line, right ? What's the
> syntax ?

No. If you include initramfs in your kernel, the /init script runs
automatically, regardless of the kernel command line. In this script you can
examine the kernel command line (available in /proc/cmdline), and mount the
right filesystem. See the Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt
file under "What is initramfs?".

baruch

--
                                                     ~. .~   Tk Open Systems