[Buildroot] kernel-headers and external toolchain

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Dec 5 11:23:42 UTC 2011

 Hoi all,

 [Please keep me in CC]

 I have a configuration with an external toolchain and a custom (git) kernel.  This custom kernel exports some custom headers (with extra v4l2 ioctls).  However, these don't get copied into staging.  Indeed, the kernel-headers target is only included when the internal uClibc toolchain is used.

 I have two possible solutions for this.

1. When compiling a kernel, install its headers into staging.  This overrides the headers that are included in an external or ct-ng toolchain, which is risky.  However, the kernel headers are considered ABI and Linus makes an effort to keep ABI compatibility, so the risk is limited.

2. When compiling the package that relies on these custom headers, add a
-I$(LINUX_DIR)/include to CFLAGS.  I feel uncomfortable to rely on the presence of the source directory like that.  OTOH, for LINUX_DIR this is anyway unavoidable to compile external modules.

 Which solution do the others prefer?

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540