[Buildroot] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Aleksander Dutkowski adutkowski at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 18:21:22 UTC 2011

afair this message could be because of lack of dev/console and/or dev/null.
You must run "mknod -m 660 dev/console c 5 1" and "mknod -m
660dev/null c 1 3" in root partition.

How to do it? I have my on usb stick, so i
simply mount usb drive, and do some changes. If youre using yaffs2 and
NAND memory, you can use

System configuration --> Custom script to run before creating filesystem images

to invoke those commands or just find unyaffs script (somewhere on the
Internet, on google code
afair), unyaffs your rootfs, make changes and make yaffs image one
more time.
You have output/target folder with your rootfs, so you can make changes there :)

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Jeff Krasky <jeff.krasky at dspcg.com> wrote:
>> "Attempted to kill init" means the init process died.  Kernel must panic
>> because init cannot terminate.
>
>> There's something preventing init from running, or it is dying during
>> execution.
>

>> Is your userland correctly have an init?  normally /sbin/init is called.
>> If your init is somewhere else, use
>
>> the init= paramater to kernel append
>

> How do I know where init is if I can’t bring the board up and run any linux
> commands?
>

>>you may have a mounted jffs2 filesystem but not directly usable (think
>> squashfs), is it loaded to
>
>> ramdisk?  if so, root=/dev/ram0 init=/sbin/init
>

> When I successfully ran 2.6.33 built from Buildroot-2011.05, in U-boot the
> setting for root was root=/dev/mtdblock1.  I am not sure what squashfs is.
> How can the filesystem not be usable?
>

> Thanks.

pozdrawiam
Aleksander Dutkowski