[Buildroot] package/Makefile.in STRIP in target config options.

ANDY KENNEDY ANDY.KENNEDY at adtran.com
Fri Aug 26 06:05:08 UTC 2011

Below is a snippet from Makefile.in in the package dir.  While looking
through the file to determine how best to write a configure script that
would work well with BuildRoot, I came across this strangeness.  If
this is by design, I would wonder why we take the time to make the
variable STRIPCMD.  Note that in the TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS we set STRIP
to only $(TARGET_STRIP).

I'm thinking this is an oops in the assignment of
STRIP=$(TARGET_STRIP) or perhaps there was an intent to reassign
TARGET_STRIP after the STRIPCMD was created.

Please advise.

Andy

ifeq ($(BR2_STRIP_strip),y)
STRIP_DISCARD_ALL:=--discard-all
STRIP_STRIP_UNNEEDED:=--strip-unneeded
STRIP_STRIP_ALL:=--strip-all
TARGET_STRIP=$(TARGET_CROSS)strip
STRIPCMD=$(TARGET_CROSS)strip --remove-section=.comment --remove-section=.note
KSTRIPCMD=$(STRIPCMD) $(STRIP_STRIP_UNNEEDED)
endif
ifeq ($(BR2_STRIP_sstrip),y)
STRIP_DISCARD_ALL:=
STRIP_STRIP_UNNEEDED:=
STRIP_STRIP_ALL:=
TARGET_STRIP=$(HOST_DIR)/usr/bin/$(REAL_GNU_TARGET_NAME)-sstrip
STRIPCMD=$(TARGET_STRIP)
KSTRIPCMD=$(TARGET_CROSS)strip --remove-section=.comment --remove-section=.note --strip-unneeded
endif
ifeq ($(BR2_STRIP_none),y)
TARGET_STRIP=true
STRIPCMD=$(TARGET_STRIP)
KSTRIPCMD=$(TARGET_STRIP)
endif
<snip>
TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS=PATH=$(TARGET_PATH) \
<snip>
                STRIP="$(TARGET_STRIP)" \