[Buildroot] bash instead of busybox

Charles Krinke charles.krinke at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 18:32:14 UTC 2011

Dear Robin:

I considered that, but am caught in one of the old "the customer says
he doesnt want busybox", so I am trying to find the various packages.
I have gotten some working and am now at the point where the sysvinit
package needs getty. I also havent figured out how to get the
fileutils package into buildroot so I can get things like "ls", but as
I find packages that seem appropriate to buildroot, I can add them and
still boot the rootfilesystem albeit with erros of "cannot execute"
here and there.

Charles

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Robin Holt <holt at sgi.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 09:56:38AM -0700, Charles Krinke wrote:
>> Gentlemen:
>>
>> I have a request to build a rootfs.jffs2 for an MPC8323 with bash
>> instead of busybox. So, ... I unset busybox in buildroot's make
>> xconfig and set bash. Then do a "make clean && make". At the end of
>> this, I see the two lines from makedevs. And, of course, to make it
>> worse, after I load it into the flash and boot from it, I do get a
>> shell of the form "sh-4.1#", so at least the file system boots. I
>> *think* at this point that a number of packages need to be added
>> starting with say, "ls" which I *think* is in the fileutils package.
>
> I have something similar but did not uncheck busybox.  After bash has
> built, it overwrites the /bin/sh symlink to busybox with a (IIRC) hard
> link to bash.  That should work for you and keep you from having to
> build other packages.
>
> I don't recall, but I may have modified the busybox config to not build
> the 'sh' parts, but I do not remember and my git repo is not convenient
> at this time.
>
> Robin
>

>> I dont see fileutils as a package option in the buildroot xconfig.
>>
>> Can someone offer a suggestion or two to a naive programmer to help
>> find some of the essential packages that are now missing?

>> ...table='target/generic/device_table.txt'
>> makedevs: line 42: regular file
>> '/home/ckrinke/asvn/trunk/buildroot-glibc/output/target/bin/busybox'
>> does not exist: No such file or directory
>> makedevs: line 49: regular file
>> '/home/ckrinke/asvn/trunk/buildroot-glibc/output/target/usr/share/udhcpc/default.script'
>> does not exist: No such file or directory
>>

>> --
>> Charles Krinke

Charles Krinke