[Buildroot] barking up a different tree

ANDY KENNEDY ANDY.KENNEDY at adtran.com
Mon Apr 25 15:19:49 UTC 2011

If you are attempting to build a uClibC toolchain for your engineers, why not just build the toolchain (under /opt/toolchains -- like Peter said), then make a tar ball of that dir and have your eng's unzip it.  Viola!  You have it.   Then, they can build buildroot to their hearts content and all will be great.

Now, to build the external toolchain, you can either use Yann's crosstool-NG, OR, you can have a prelim build of buildroot dropping a toolchain into that dir.  IF your eng's need to build it themselves (I know that feeling, I have a couple that don’t want binaries, they want source) fix that package up and wrap the whole process in a make file.  Keep control over what they do by having them run a build (so that they don’t screw it up).  Save off all your config files to a common dir, then have the make file unpack, update, configure and build the toolchain and the file system.  This isn’t "easy" but it is probably the best thing to do.

Andy