[Buildroot] uclibc vs glibc

Charles Krinke charles.krinke at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 02:53:31 UTC 2011

Dear Khem:

I apologize for asking my question improperly. Let me try again.

Buildroot creates a roots with its internal toolchain, that is the one it
compiles as I understand it. With CodeSouecery, their web site for the none
buildroot now supports says it is glibc.

I am trying to understand how, from inspecting the .so files in /lib on the
target how to tell the difference. For instance, just concentrating on
libc.so.6, I can see the uclibc, generated by buildroot from its compile
toolchain that this is a softlink to libc-2.6.1.so and is 1.38mbytes. I can
also see that the libc.so.6 in a rootfa create by the CodeSourcey 2010.09
toolchain is a softlink to libc-2.11.1.so and is 1.49 mbytes, a little
larger. I think the 2.6.1 libc is uclibc and the 2.11.1 libc is glibc.

Can someone confirm that this is true? That is, that a rootfs built with
buildroot's internally compiled toolchain is uclibc, and that a roots built
with CodeSorcery's external toolchain in the latest release of buildroot is
indeed glibc.