[Buildroot] Problem running program compiled with the toolchain

Marc Leclerc marc-leclerc at signaturealpha.com
Thu Sep 16 20:07:26 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have built an x86 embedded system using buildroot 2010.08. I have been
trying a few lib&  compiler version trying to find the problem without
success then I added gdb to the target to see if I could get more info

First I tried my application which was developped in the past year
compiled with the buildroot toolchain and it wont start (either illegal
instruction or segfault (seems to change if I use static linking). weird
thing is that the library examples do run and I am using those same
libraries and makefile based on theirs.

I then tried a simple app

int main (int argc, char **argv)
{
     return 0;
}

and I get a segfault at 1 ip 00000001 ...
adding a printf I get Illegal instruction

running under gdb amazingly tells me that the file is not in executable
format: File format not recognized

This app starts on my host and is recognized
The demos do start as well

Oviously I am missing something here, could anyone ring my bell

Regards