[Buildroot] EXT2-fs error

Malte Starostik m-starostik at versanet.de
Wed Sep 15 13:28:32 UTC 2010

Am Mittwoch, 15. September 2010, 14:39:37 schrieb Johnny Beardsmore:
> > You have mistakenly unselected the generation of an ext2 image in
> > "Target filesystem options". The generation of an ext2 image is enabled
> > by default when you start a fresh configuration, so if it's not
> > enabled, it's because you have unselected it somehow.
>
> What does creating this file allow me to do (other than apply the
> previously mentioned e2fsck to it)?  I assume I'll still be transfering
> all the same stuff to the target, but do I also include this file, and if
> so, where should it be located?

It's an EXT2 image file.  i.e. this file contains a perfect bitwise copy of
what belongs on your device to get your rootfs.  Just like a hard
disk/floppy/CD image.  You can dd if=rootfs.ext2 of=yourtargetdevicenode to
transfer it.  Of course that will delete any pre-existing files from the
target device so watch out.  What to put in place of yourtargetdevicenode
depends on how you're accessing your target's storage device.

Cheers,
Malte