[Buildroot] EXT2-fs error

Johnny Beardsmore jny0 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 13 08:45:56 UTC 2010

My understanding of running e2fsck is that it should only be done on an
unmounted file system (or setting to read-only, but I've never actually
done this).  I've only ever run it on hda (usually a hard disk or flash
drive) or sda (usually a usb stick) after a umount.  For me to e2fsck
on the build machine means that I'm applying it to files on a mounted
file system, not a complete unmounted drive.  This is where I'm getting
confused.

I'm obviously lacking some fundermental understanding of what e2fsck
does.  I know to run it when advised to after repartitionning (entire)
drives with fdisk, and if I don't then sooner or later, inode errors
start popping up, and data gets lost.  I'm getting the advisory on
start-up and as I'd expect, I'm getting inode errors on occasion.  What
I can't seem to do is use the fix I'd normally apply.