[Buildroot] mdev handling

Yegor Yefremov yegorslists at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 9 09:01:52 UTC 2010

>  Yegor> AFAIK mdev activation leads only to adding this binary to the rootfs
>  Yegor> tree. What about starting script? Would it make sense to create
>  Yegor> /etc/init.d/S1mdev with the following content:
>
>  Yegor> tmpfs           /dev           tmpfs    size=1M          0      0
>
>  Yegor> added. (The size should be much smaller, this is only for testing)
>
>  Yegor> What do you think about this?
>
> Isn't this largely obsolete now we have devtmpfs?

Yes, it is working like a charm. You live and learn.

But the creation of an init.d script is still worth implementing?

I'd suggest to make an option "Target filesystem options"->"Device
creation" and then
 "Target filesystem options"->"Device creation"->"static" and as
suboption "device table file"
 "Target filesystem options"->"Device creation"->"dynmic" and as
suboptions "udev" and "mdev"
 and then something with hotplugging

Regards,
Yegor