[Buildroot] About Git through SSH

Michael S. Zick minimod at morethan.org
Fri Sep 3 14:37:29 UTC 2010

On Fri September 3 2010, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 07:30:54 -0500
> "Michael S. Zick" <minimod at morethan.org> wrote:
>
> > Yup.
> > Please supply git version number(s).
>
> Just the normal Git from the latest Ubuntu, i.e:
>
> $ git --version
> git version 1.7.0.4

Ah, so, there is the difference - Apples and Oranges

I support users back to the oldest, commonly used, git versions -
Where I define that as the version in the current Debian stable release.

So the commentary in the gitolite release still applies to older git versions.
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/git-core

Somewhere between v1.5 and v1.7 they must have added parsing "ssh://" to the git client.

You might want to add a comment in the "Minimum Software Requirements" of Buildroot,
to go along with the addition of the user specified scheme feature for the case of
 "git xxx ssh://..."
style URIs

Might cut down on the end-user puzzlement of: "Why doesn't this work for me?"

Note: I think the change happened at v1.6 but I haven't checked to be certain.

Mike