[Buildroot] CTRL+C in menuconfig deletes .config

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Nov 16 14:48:22 UTC 2010

Hello,

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:23:42 -0500
Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> wrote:

> i dont know why the menuconfig target has this logic:
>     @if ! $(COMMON_CONFIG_ENV) $< $(CONFIG_CONFIG_IN); then \
>         test -f $(CONFIG_DIR)/.config.cmd || rm -f $(CONFIG_DIR)/.config; \
>     fi
>
> but it causes severely undesirable behavior.  if i do:
> 	make menuconfig
> 	<change some things & save>
> 	make menuconfig
> 	<change some things but change my mind and hit CTRL+C>
>
> the build system deletes the .config file.

After a quick dig in Buildroot git history, I found the commit that
introduced this:

commit 153b1beaeb02e1d4780428c0387b7003644e402b
Author: Bernhard Reutner-Fischer <rep.dot.nop at gmail.com>
Date:   Fri Jul 27 12:37:30 2007 +0000

    - fix building mconf with curses flags
    - make sure to rm .config when the first 'make menuconfig' was
      interrupted and thus no .config.cmd was created.

The test "test -f $(CONFIG_DIR)/.config.cmd" is supposed to prevent the
behaviour you're seeing, but the thing is that this file no longer
seems to be generated. I haven't had the time to understand why.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons