[Buildroot] FYI: Re: Conflicting types for getline

Jochen+busybox at Hayek.name Jochen+busybox at Hayek.name
Sun May 16 10:24:52 UTC 2010

    TCWP> Hi,
    TCWP> I encountered an error running make for buildroot.
    TCWP> Any ideas?
    TCWP> Thanks in advance.

    PK> That's a known problem

Oh, good to know ;-)

    PK> when you try to use older Linux kernels on new distributions.

    PK> Select a newer version (>2.6.28) for the Linux kernel headers
    PK> and it should work.

Well, Peter,
I am facing the same problem as Teng Chee Wan Philip did then.
And I am not really free in my choice regarding the kernel.

My pretty brand new Internet router ("AVM FRITZ!Box 7390") is using a 2.6.19.2 Linux kernel,
and I can't really rebuild the entire thing,
as they only tell us, on what open source it's based,
and they don't publish their extensions.

    root at fritz.fonwlan.box(fb7390) # uname -a
    Linux fritz.fonwlan.box 2.6.19.2 #4 Fri Mar 26 17:10:43 CET 2010 mips unknown

    root at fritz.fonwlan.box(fb7390) # cat /proc/cpuinfo
    system type             : Ikanos Fusiv Core
    processor               : 0
    cpu model               : MIPS 24K V4.12
    BogoMIPS                : 330.75
    wait instruction        : yes
    unaligned_instructions  : 2845982
    microsecond timers      : yes
    tlb_entries             : 64
    extra interrupt vector  : yes
    hardware watchpoint     : yes
    ASEs implemented        : mips16 dsp
    VCED exceptions         : not available
    VCEI exceptions         : not available

I want to be able to mount ext2 partitions on external disks,
and not just vfat partitions,
so I want to grab the ext2.ko from your build
and "insmod" it in my devices kernel.

They actually supply us with the kernel sources,
they use for building their device,
and I have no idea, whether they really changed it.
Of course, I know how to do a "diff -r" on their kernel and the vanilla 2.6.19.2 ...

So now with your software
I actually also didn't find a way to tell it,
how to use a custom kernel, that I already have on my disk.

And "here" you are also telling us,
there is a problem with buildroot regarding the kernel to be built resp.  how new it is.

Well, whatever!
Either I use your software, which so far seems to lack a few features resp. suffers from a few minor deficits,
or I need to build a cross-compiler and then the kernel with that cross-compiler all by myself.

Now in this light -- do you see any chance for me to get this job done?

Be sure: your community would love you for this!

Kind regards,
Jochen

P.S.
I am a little in a hurry right now,
and I hope you don't consider me curt.
Thanks for your work on buildroot!!!
Do you have an Amazon or whatever wishlist,
so I can do something good for you?