[Buildroot] Status of external toolchain support

Will Wagner will_wagner at carallon.com
Wed May 12 21:36:59 UTC 2010

>> Should you even be able to set
>> thread library when using an external toolchain?
>>
> An external toolchain can be built to not support threading. It's an option
> in crosstool-NG, at least. Maybe other means to build toolchain also offer
> this possibility.
>
> So yes, we also have to select threading model in buildroot, and it has to
> match the external toolchain capabilities.

I understand that options that affect packages have to be set the same.
I can also see that you need to know if the toolchain supports threads
or not, however once you have an external toolchain surely the packages
you build with it do not care what version of threading is used.

If you need to tell buildroot the type of threading used (linuxthread
old/new or nptl) then currently buildroot does not check that they match
up, as I have an nptl toolchain but am unable to select that in
buildroot so it is set to linuxthreads new, but I got no error.