[Buildroot] external toolchain and sysroot

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Sat Mar 27 08:22:19 UTC 2010

Hello,

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 01:10:16 +0000 (UTC)
Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I guess I got confused by the contradiction.  Stating that
> --sysroot is passed to every gcc/ld invocation meant to me that you
> believed there were no packages that are broken with regard to
> --sysroot.

Oh, yes, sorry, my wording was maybe confusing (english is not my
native language). To make external toolchain work, --sysroot *must* be
passed to every gcc/ld invocation, but it's clearly not the case in
many non-autotools packages.

> What I'm still puzzled about out is why builds fail for some external
> toolchains and not others.  I'm pretty sure that I wasn't the first
> person to attempt to build 2010.02 busybox with an external toolchain,
> yet nobody else seems to have had the link failure due to the missing
> --sysroot.  OTOH, --sysroot was clearly not present in the link flags.

I'm also a bit puzzled by the problem you had on Busybox, since I'm
definitely able to build it with 2010.02, as it is, with a Crosstool-NG
external toolchain (but not with a Buildroot external toolchain). I'll
try to reproduce.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons