[Buildroot] external toolchain and sysroot

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 01:10:16 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-26, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 01:04:33 +0000 (UTC)
> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >  * We pass --sysroot $(STAGING_DIR) to every gcc/ld invocation, so that
>> >    gcc/ld find the libraries and header files correctly.
>>
>> Perhaps that's what's supposed to happen, but there appear to be a lot
>> of packages where it doesn't happen (at least for some of us).
>
> As I said in my other mail in this thread, yes, there are many packages
> that are broken with regard to --sysroot.

Sorry, I guess I got confused by the contradiction.  Stating that
--sysroot is passed to every gcc/ld invocation meant to me that you
believed there were no packages that are broken with regard to
--sysroot.

> Packages that use the Makefile.autotools.in infrastructure should all
> work, but for all the other packages, they should be fixed one by
> one.

OK, that's all I was trying to establish: that some/many packages are
broken when used with external toolchains and not every gcc/ld
invocation is being passed --sysroot.

What I'm still puzzled about out is why builds fail for some external
toolchains and not others.  I'm pretty sure that I wasn't the first
person to attempt to build 2010.02 busybox with an external toolchain,
yet nobody else seems to have had the link failure due to the missing
--sysroot.  OTOH, --sysroot was clearly not present in the link flags.

I can't find any gcc/binutils config options that should cause a
difference like that.

--
Grant