[Buildroot] Compilation error of Buildroot with X server

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Mar 19 08:33:24 UTC 2010

Hello,

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 17:41:08 +0100
Damien Borie <dbe at terawatt.fr> wrote:

> So, I finally successfully created my distribution. So if anybody
> encounter the same problems, I send my solution here.
> In fact, the .la files, used by Libtool for linking libraries, were
> filled with bad paths. The error was to define the same path for the
> External Toolchain Location option and the Toolchain Header Location
> option. The second is where libraries are copied by Buildroot, and
> must be in the Buildroot tree. I don't know why, in my configuration,
> it was the path to my Toolchain (the 2 options had the same value).
> I never understood why the problem only comes with X libraries
> compilation and no with other libraries.
> I reset this option to the default value (output/staging or something
> like that), and, it's work fine.

Oh, yes, these are two very different things. The location were your
external toolchain is installed could be read-only. We use this
location for the cross-tools binaries (that we keep in this
directory) and for the C library and headers (that we copy into the
staging directory).

Maybe I should check that they are different ?

> I encountered some errors during Vesa drivers and XGI drivers
> compilation, but I resolved them (some include to modify in some .h
> files). So now I got a working distribution.

Ok. After the 2010.02 release there has been a big update of all the
X11-related packages, so maybe these issues are already solved.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons