[Buildroot] make linux26-force

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Jun 25 07:24:50 UTC 2010

Hello,

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:48:09 -0500
H Hartley Sweeten <hartleys at visionengravers.com> wrote:

> No.  Manually adding a new patch or making a change to one of the source
> files will not cause the kernel to be rebuilt.  And, doing a linux26-menuconfig
> also will not cause the rebuild (unless something is changed).

True.

> I'm trying to bring up a new board design so I am always making changes to
> my kernel board init file, either to enable a new feature or test something.
>
> I know I can force the rebuild by touching the stamp_configured file but
> it's kind of a hassle since I was used to just doing either:
>
> $ make linux26-force;make
>
> Of
>
> $ make linux26-force;make linux26
>
> This has worked fine for me since I started using buildroot.  The linux-cleanup
> commit changed that behavior.

I understand.

In general, Buildroot is not really good at allowing people to change
the code of the different components it compiles. We had this
linux26-specific thing, but for all other regular packages, we have
nothing in place.

So, I'd prefer not to add a linux26-specific knob and have a generic
reflexion on how we want to handle this use-case, for all packages. And
in general the use-case of Buildroot being used during *development*
and not only for integration.

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons