[Buildroot] package/customize

Cristi Magherusan Cristi.Magherusan at net.utcluj.ro
Wed Jun 23 18:06:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 12:03 -0500, H Hartley Sweeten wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is there a way to tag the package/customize directory so that a
> 'git pull' will ignore it?  I use that directory as a hacking point
> to test/add packages that are not currently in buildroot.  Right
> now, every time I do a git pull I have to copy that directory out
> of my tree and restore the original one before I do a 'git pull' to
> update my tree.
>
> Thanks,
> Hartley
Hi Hartley,

Why don't you create a feature branches for your stuff, where you can
make commits freely, and track the upstream in another branch.

Then when one of your feature branches is complete, make a pull request
or send a patch for inclusion in mainline, and delete it after the code
was merged.

Here's a small document that describes such a workflow:
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~blynn/gitmagic/ch04.html

Regards,
Cristi

--
Cristi Măgherușan, alumnus System/Network Engineer
Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania