[Buildroot] Issue with Xfbdev and keyboard

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Jul 20 06:55:16 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to use our Xfbdev X.org server, but it unfortunately
complains on startup with:

(EE) XKB: Couldn't open rules file /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base
XKB: Failed to compile keymap
Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect
setup of xkeyboard-config

And indeed, I haven't compiled xkeyboard-config. However, it seems to
me that in the past, all the keymap mess wasn't necessary by default.
Is this a behaviour change in X.org server ? If xkeyboard-config is
really mandatory, then it should become a dependency of xserver_xorg.
Any hints on this ?

To solve this, I enabled the compilation of xkeyboard-config, which
needs xkbcomp on the host, so I added a dependency on
host-xapp_xkbcomp. But unfortunately, host-xapp_xkbcomp would depend on
host-xlib_libX11, which we until now managed to avoid building. And in
turn host-xlib_libX11 would depend on quite a few things, which would
give the following dependency chain:

 xkeyboard-config

   |-> host-xapp_xkbcomp

         |-> host_xlib_libX11