[Buildroot] Full config files for each board are yucky.

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Mon Jul 19 05:15:49 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Mitch" == Mitch Davis <mjd+buildroot at afork.com> writes:

Hi,

 Mitch> <rant>That *every* defconfig file needs to be changed indicates a
 Mitch> failing of the present system, where we have pre-canned config files
 Mitch> for every board, that need ongoing maintenance whenever something in
 Mitch> the Kconfig files change.</rant>

Agreed, I was thinking of running Uwe's reduce script:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/7/13/134

 Mitch> I have an alternative config system where every board inherits config
 Mitch> options from something else (ultimately the defaults in the config
 Mitch> system), then a board can turn on and off and set options which are
 Mitch> relevant to that board.  BR2_GIT would only need to be changed in one
 Mitch> place, if at all.  I'll clean it up and publish it, if anyone's
 Mitch> interested...

What would that buy us compared to Uwe's script? Would that involve
significant changes to package/config making updates harder?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard