[Buildroot] ISO menu option

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Jul 7 08:34:09 UTC 2010

Hello Vince,

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 10:27:26 -0700
vbr vbr <vvvg77 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am new to buildroot. First congratulations for the awesome tool!

Thanks :-)

> I noticed that when I pick the i386 as a target platform, the ISO option is
> present under fs. However, if I pick a different target, say x86_64, the ISO
> menu option disappears. I was wondering what the reason was behind this as I
> am trying to build an ISO image for x86_64.

Which version of Buildroot are you using ?

In Buildroot 2010.05, it's correct that the ISO9660 option was only
available for the i386 architecture. In the current git of Buildroot,
we've fixed this, and it is now possible to enable the generation of
ISO9660 filesystem image for both i386 and x64_64 (see
commit c7ee5853a0d54a32aa69a4e4065e6ecdd63c4a4c).

BTW, I would be interested by your feedback on the ISO images Buildroot
generates. I've reworked the code that does this, but as I don't use
these myself, I don't know what kind of use cases ISO images are
supposed to solve. Therefore, your feedback on whether the ISO images
generated by Buildroot are useful or incomplete would be very
interesting.

Thanks,

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons