[Buildroot] Getting package sources from git/svn/bzr/hg

Michael S. Zick minimod at morethan.org
Thu Jul 1 12:45:52 UTC 2010

On Thu July 1 2010, Quotient Remainder wrote:
> [...]
> the makefile command context - tabbed in) so it's not straightforward to
> do conditional stuff.  This could be greatly simplified if $(call
> DOWNLOAD ...) was called in the makefile directive context
> (non-indented).  As you can see, makefiles (and their terminology) are
> not my major.  As stated previously, I wanted to be as non-invasive as
> possible so did not do this myself.
>
> > The issue I have with this is *when* to do a "git pull" or "svn
> > update". With normal packages, we download the particular version of a
> > particular tarball, and we uncompress it in $(BUILD_DIR)/package-X.Y.Z.
> > So, if the package gets its version bumped in the .mk file, we download
> > the new version package-X.Y.A, we extract it in a new directory
> > $(BUILD_DIR)/package-X.Y.A, and we're done.
> > If you just give the URL of a Git or SVN repo, how is this going to
> > work ? If you download the HEAD of a Git repo in a directory named
> > $(BUILD_DIR)/mypackage, when should the package be redownloaded ? How
> > is the version bump going to be done ?
>
> I wanted git to work using both the "clone" command to get a working
> copy and "archive --remote" command to get a snapshot.
>
> For most users, the snapshot feature would be used.  Since all this does
> is get a tarball to the $(DL_DIR) the pull problem doesn't arise, if you
> change the version then there will be no archive in $(DL_DIR) with the
> new version, e.g dl/package-b78686aaadeacdda67abade29f.tgz
>
> The clone context introduces complications though.  "make source" will
> clone the repository to $(BUILD_DIR) and check out the requested
> version.  The extract stage is not necessary and for my own purposes no
> patches should be applied so I skip the patch stage also - others may
> feel different.  My reasoning is that if you're working on source you
> will not want anyone else patches to be automatically applied.
>
> Running "make source" again should in some way recognise source
> controlled packages and checkout the specified versions of each package.
> By this I mean that PACKAGE_VERSION in the package makefile may have
> changed since "make source" was last run.
>
> As time passes developers may wish to get the latest updates from
> upstream.  For this I feel that a new command "make source-update" or
> similar would be needed.  This would be analogous to "git pull".
>

> One of the messy parts of my approach is that there is no good way to
> choose on a package-by-package level whether to get a snapshot or clone.
> Any ideas on this are most welcome.
>

> > MYPACKAGE_VERSION=902108904ad7daec88b367dd5fcd1c46e71ac3e6
> > MYPACKAGE_SITE=git://foo.bar.com/projects/mypackage.git
> >
> > This way, a fixed version is choosen, so the build is reproducible. I
> > would find it rather disappointing to have "random" versions being
> > built by Buildroot.
> >

> For my own purposes I need to have all package versions in a single
> top-level file (a bit like a partial manifest to be used in combination

Grab a sample tar-ball from my project under Mercurial -
http://hg.minimodding.com

In the top level of the archive you will find a file named: .hg_archival.txt

Content looks like:
repo: e9e6cd658042687e847b8247448b1d9fd485bd6c
node: a719b06876935ac6803f2e73171a12f8068d61b9
branch: default
latesttag: null
latesttagdistance: 31

With a bit of scripted editing, that could be turned into a manifest of
repeatable check-out points used in a given build for everything that
came from Mercurial repositories.

One show-stopping problem with this:
The .hg_archival.txt file is a per-repository option, not an unconditional
output of Mercurial for every repository it maintains. (Drat! More conditionals.)

I personally can't think of why someone would turn it off but I think it defaults
to "off" so you can't trust that every repo owner remembers to turn it on.

Mike