[Buildroot] make -C <buildroot_directory> failed

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Tue Feb 23 22:25:21 UTC 2010

Cameron, All,

On Tuesday 23 February 2010 23:00:16 Cameron Hutchison wrote:
> >Attempting to invoke the top level buildroot makefile from a higher
> >level Makefile or simply with make -C <buildroot_directory> fails during
> >the kernel build. This is even true if 'make -C .' is invoked from the
> >top level buildroot directory, as long as a kernel build is enabled. It
> >appears that the problem has something to do with make's
> >"Entering/Leaving directory" messages, as the output below suggests.

Yes, this is expected behavior:
http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#g_t_002dw-Option

Basically, using $(MAKE) has special behavior, which is fortunate most
os the time, but fails for this specific case, where the second 'make'
is completely decorelated (Makefile-wise) from the calling 'make'.

> >When I passed the --no-print-directory option to make, I was able to
> >build without problems.
> I think I see the problem. See if this patch fixes it. I haven't tested
> this, but this looks right.

I'd say that is the correct fix.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.