[Buildroot] Persistent U-Boot environment variables under QEMU

Jim Thomas jimthomasembedded at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 13 21:51:26 UTC 2010

I am experimenting with Buildroot under QEMU, using buildroot-2009.11 and buildroot-2010.02-rc1.

So far, so good.  I can boot a Linux kernel and RFS built by Buildroot under QEMU (versatilepb) where the RFS is exported via NFS.

QEMU includes a boot loader, so U-Boot is not needed.  But I use U-Boot with real ARM hardware, so I would like to experiment with U-Boot under QEMU, adding DHCP and TFTP to the mix.

With real hardware, the U-Boot environment variables are persistent in flash memory.

Is there a way to simulate this with QEMU?  I would not go to the trouble to manually enter the U-Boot environment variables each time I boot under QEMU, but if there is a persistence mechanism available then including U-Boot might be practical.

Thanks.

Jim