[Buildroot] inittab -- mount -o remount,rw / fails

ANDY KENNEDY ANDY.KENNEDY at adtran.com
Thu Dec 30 20:40:34 UTC 2010

In inittab, the lines:

# Startup the system
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -o remount,rw /
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -t proc proc /proc

are supposed to remount the filesystem read-write enabled.  In my case
(mounting root via NFS) I don't get an error on console, but I do not
remount /.  So, what happens next is all the first boot stuff (making
the RSA keys, etc) fails.  My fix for this was to mount proc first.

Should mount be able to remount / without proc being mounted?

If not, perhaps we should change fs/skeleton/etc/inittab to reflect the
below.

# Startup the system
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -t proc proc /proc
null::sysinit:/bin/mount -o remount,rw /

Cheers,
Andy