[Buildroot] [git commit master 1/1] ed: bump to version 1.5

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Dec 23 08:56:12 UTC 2010

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 09:48:17 +0100
Peter Korsgaard <jacmet at uclibc.org> wrote:

>  Thomas> Sorry for this late review, but why is this ED_CONF_OPT needed ? We
>  Thomas> already pass those variables through TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS.
>
> Yes, it's a bit tricky. TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS are provided in the
> environment, and the configure script overrides the variables
> (CC=''). It then checks for a CC=<blah> argument and uses that,
> otherwise it defaults to 'gcc'.

Is that a configure script generated by autoconf ?

Note that according to :

 http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Configuration.html

It is recommended to pass the TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS as argument and not
inside the environment:

«
Specifying variables as arguments to configure, like this:

	./configure CC=gcc

is preferable to setting them in environment variables:

	CC=gcc ./configure

as it helps to recreate the same configuration later with
‘config.status’. However, both methods should be supported.
»

Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons