[Buildroot] Build failures...

Joe lordvictory1 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 16 19:58:36 UTC 2010

I'm new to buildroot, so I hope I don't cause any extra work on anyones behalf
if I'm incorrect about these...I would just like to help participate to make
this project better...so I thought I'd post what I've encountering so far.

My host environment if a VMware Centos v5.5 system, and I've encountered a
couple issues during building of the most current buildroot release.

  1) When building ncurses it got hung up when running the terminfo compiler
(tic).  I let it run for over an hour, but decided to cancel it when top
indicated it had already consumed >43 minutes of CPU time and was still not
finished.

  2) When building host-zlib-1.2.5 it failed during the make install phase it
invokes install-libs, which attempted to copy (cp command) SHAREDLIBV (which was
empty) and received a failure on the cp command due to only a single argument.
I simply commented the line out and then the make of that component completed.

  3) When configuring buildroot I checked off the item (in menuconfig) to build
the uClibc tests.  When it was building the tests it got a compile error (not
sure now what file or error).  I simply went back into the configure and
unselected to build the tests and then it went past this.

  4) When invoking /usr/bin/msgfmt it got a parse failure in ./de.po on the
keyword "msgctxt".  Not sure what it's building or how to get around this.

I'm unable to complete the make process, so currently I dead in the water with
this tool, and I'm not sure where to go from here with it.  Perhaps it's my
build environment?   What Linux version has this been known to build without
failures on?

Hope this helps.