[Buildroot] helper tool handling in build system (sed/install/...)

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Wed Dec 8 08:50:45 UTC 2010

i cant seem to figure out why we bother looking up the full path:
	SED:=$(shell which sed || type -p sed) -i -e

we dont build up host versions, nor do we have to worry about them being found
in the cross-compiled PATH since we arent adding that to the host PATH.  the
only things this which/type logic is doing is shortcutting the shell's
implicit PATH lookup -- which is pretty much useless since it isnt saving us
any forks.  if anything, it just adds shell overhead whenever someone does
`make` because of the usage of ":=".

further, it isnt like we're trying to be portable.  the sed's -i usage is
purely GNU and not POSIX compliant at all.  which makes me wonder why the -e
is even there since the default behavior of `sed` is to treat the first
argument as a script.  and then makes me wonder why we have $(SED) at all --
there are plenty of places in the dist where people just go through `sed`.

so am i missing something or is this all purely vestigial ?
-mike