[Buildroot] Help - Buildroot-2010.11 Don't know what changed

Chris Kerios ckerios at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 16:27:09 UTC 2010

Hi,
I am working with the 2010.11 release on a PC-104 Geode LX w/Compact
Flash card. Fedora 14.

I built a minimal system with all the defaults, no external toolchain:

Kernel = 2.6.36.1
uClibc = .9.31.x with .9.31.x.config file
Busybox = 1.17.x with 1.17.x.config file
gcc = 4.3.x
bootloader selected = grub

I have not added any files/applications to be built, so all that is
being built is the toolchain, kernel, grub and busybox.  Everything
downloads and builds fine!

The problem is when I copy to flash and boot the system it comes up as
read-only!  I copy things to the flash as root and preserve all
permissions, etc.  I've looked at the mailing list and long ago the
threads said to have the entry in inittab remount the filesystem as RW
and it should correct the problem.  The issue is my default inittab
file has this entry in it so I don't understand why I am seeing this.

If I execute the command manually from the command line after logging
in, it mounts the filesystem back as RW just fine.  Also, if I include
a "rw" on my kernel line in grub.conf the filesystem comes in as RW.

Is this a busybox issue?  I am using all buildroot defaults.  Any
thoughts or ideas of things I can check?

Thanks in advance,
Chris