[Buildroot] Building external i586 ARM cross toolchain on x64 Linux

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 14:37:47 UTC 2010

On 2010-08-09, James Ronald <james.ronald at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On 2010-08-06, James Ronald <james.ronald at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Building such on 32 bit Linux distribution works great but I would
>>> like to switch to using a 64 bit Linux distribution and still be able
>>> to build an 32bit (i586) external (portable) tool chain.
>>
>> I don't know why the procedure would be any different.  What exactly
>> failed?
>
> Buildroot will automatically build a 64 bit cross toolchain when run
> on 64 bit Linux and a 32 bit cross toolchain when run on 32 bit
> Linux.  I am asking if there is a buildroot "preferred method" or
> "best practice" for building a 32 bit cross toolchain on on 64 bit
> Linux.

I think I'm confused.  When you say a "64 bit cross toolchain" I read
that as a toolchain for a 64-bit target, and I didn't think the "bit
size" of the host made any difference to Buildroot.

If what you want to do is use Buildroot on architecture A to build a
compiler to run on architecture B for for a target with architecture
C, then that's called a "Canadian Cross", and I don't think buildroot
will do that (unless there's some special case in gcc/binutils for the
IA32 and AMD64 architectures).

You can do it with Crosstool-NG:

  http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/projects/crosstool#canadian_build

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! ... the MYSTERIANS are
                                  at               in here with my CORDUROY