[Buildroot] [pull request] Buildroot cleanup, v2

H Hartley Sweeten hartleys at visionengravers.com
Tue Sep 22 22:56:32 UTC 2009

On Tuesday, September 22, 2009 3:39 PM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Le Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:16:48 -0400,
> "H Hartley Sweeten" <hartleys at visionengravers.com> a écrit :
>
>> Nice work with the cleanup!
>
> Thanks!

One thing I did notice.

You default BR2_DL_DIR to $(BASE_DIR)/dl a better default might be
$(TOPDIR)/dl.  This would make the default work for multiple
make O=<directory> without having to create the <directory>/dl symlink
or export BUILDROOT_DL_DIR.

>> To further cleanup the build do you think it's worthwhile to create a
>> "Makefile.autotools.host.in" or just extend "Makefile.autotools.in" to
>> handle the various packages that do a make for the host?  At a quick
>> glance it appears they all go thru the same steps for the host build.
>
> That's definitely on my TODO-list. But don't hesitate to step-up with a
> patch, since I'm very busy these days and don't know when I'll be able
> to work on this again (next week ?).

I'll just wait for you to reach it on your TODO-list ;-)

> However, for me, it's not only about Makefile.autotools.in. I also
> would like to see all packages use some infrastructure similar to
> Makefile.autotools.in. Of course, this infrastructure would be more
> flexible that Makefile.autotools.in, but could at least automate the
> download, extraction and patch process, and could allow to do some
> common things before/after the configuration, compilation and
> installation to the staging/target. This will be very useful to, for
> example, properly handle the removal of a package from the target.

Having a common package removal would be great!  Removing a single
package from the filesystem can be a real pain...

> I've started to prototype such a thing, and got something simple such
> as zlib.mk working, with a significant reduction in size of zlib.mk.
> However, with slightly more complex things such as icu.mk (which
> requires the tool for the host), my prototype isn't yet advanced enough.

zlib.mk isn't even the worse one.  That one at least looks like it
could be converted to the a Makefile.autotools.in target.  Some of the
older *.mk files are a real mess...

Regards,
Hartley