[Buildroot] busybox question

Emmanuel Riou emmanuel.riou at toumaz.com
Wed Oct 28 16:46:08 UTC 2009

Hi Roman,

please see my comments inline,

Roman Chertov wrote:
>>  Roman> Hello,
>>  Roman> I have an ARM920T board that I am trying to get going with buildroot and
>>  Roman> uClibc.  I managed to compile the kernel, and it boots up to the point
>>  Roman> where the login must happen.  Nothing happens at that point.  However,
>>  Roman> the machine runs as I can ping it.  I have tried to init=/bin/sh
>>  Roman> init=/bin/ethtool, but I did not get any output to indicate that
>>  Roman> something started.
>>
>> And you have set console= to something sensible? What is the last output
>> you get from the kernel?
>
> console=ttyAM0,115200 ip=dhcp noinitrd root=/dev/nfs init=/sbin/init
> nfsroot=192.168.0.1:/proj/tools/buildroot-2009.08/project_build_arm/uclibc/root/
> This is my argument list to the kernel.
>
> This was my last message from the kernel
>
> VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
>
> Freeing init memory: 120K
>
> Based on Francisco's private email, I made some nodes in the /dev
> directory as by default, buildroot creates only files and not device
> files with major/minor numbers.  I made the nodes by copying some of the
> devices from the board's default disk while it was running.  Now, when I
> boot, I get the following repeating sequence.
>
> can't open /dev/~: No such file or directory
>
> can't open /dev/tty1: No such file or directory
>
> can't open /dev/tty2: No such file or directory

You have to configure buildroot to generate a tar archive of your
filesystem, since buildroot uses fakeroot to create the /dev files in
the archive (buildroot can't create the /dev files in your project
directory as you are not root). You just have to untar this archive then
to get your complete root filesystem you're gonna mount via NFS.

Hope this helps,

Emmanuel.