[Buildroot] [RFC; PATCH v2] Use gdbserver from external toolchain

Anders Darander anders.darander at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 10:22:28 UTC 2009

Hi all,

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 08:32, Anders Darander
<anders.darander at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 17:25, Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:
>> This feature is of course very welcome, but I'd like to see the
>> external toolchain support to be extended to toolchains not generated
>> by Crosstool-NG (Codesourcery toolchains, for example, are still on my
>> TODO-list).
>
> Yes, this would definitely be desirable.
>
>> Can we imagine a way of making this more generic ? Maybe we could
>> detect the toolchain «type» and act differently depending on this type ?
>
> Currently I see no way on changing the menuentries depending on the
> toolchain type (here I assume type is Crosstool-NG, Codesourcery,
> etc...) Thus we will not know if there is any gdbserver in the
> toolchain...
>
> However, in the ext-tool.mk, we should be able to at least query the
> toolchain for the configuration and parse that information, and decide
> from what source the toolchain comes.

Attached is a version 2 of the patch.

Main differences after feedback:
*) The help text in Config.in states that it only works for
crosstool-ng generated toolchains.
*) The copy function in ext-tool.mk checks to see if the toolchain is
generated by crosstool-ng, otherwise it'll bail out. The functionality
to strip the binary has also been added, per copy_toolchain_lib_root.

The copy_toolchain_debugroot is still a bit hackish, though. However,
anyways, I think that it starts to be usable. Once (if) crosstool-ng
gets an API to query for the debug-root, it should be easy to replace
the current hard-coded sets of path's.

Looking forward to a new sets of comments, and hopefully in the end a
commit of the patch.
Regards,
Anders