[Buildroot] Missing 'make install' option ?

Matuschka, Sebastian Sebastian.Matuschka at gcd-solutions.de
Fri Oct 16 06:56:21 UTC 2009

> Subject: Re: [Buildroot] Missing 'make install' option ?
>
> tike64 at gmail.com wrote:
> > Mark Jackson wrote:
> >> A sort of 'make install' which would:-
> >>
> >> (a) delete the output/target contents
> >> (b) copy target_skeleton to output/target
> >> (c) run 'make install' on all selected packages (re-compiling if
> >> required)
> >>
> >> I'd find that *most* useful !!
> >
> > I would also find it useful but, while we are waiting it,
> this might
> > be of some value:
> >
> > rm -rf output/build/.root output/target `find -name
> *target_installed`
>
> Seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and it still
> recompiles uclibc
> *but* it's almost exactly what I was thinking about.
>
> I'd still like a more formal approach to doing this, and I
> can't believe that my requirements differ widely from most
> other developers !?!
>
> Mark

I'm missing that too.
Every time I add/change/remove a file in my target_skeleton/ i have to
"make distclean;make menuconfig;make" or i have to add it to
project_<arch>/project/root/ too and run make.
I would love to see something like that you have described in buildroot.
I have not enough experience with Makefiles and buildroot to write it,
otherwise i would have done so, that would have saved me hours of
compile time. Especially the toolchain tooks very very long.

Sebastian