[Buildroot] setting up buildroot for using OLD gcc / binutils

W.P. laurentp at wp.pl
Tue Oct 13 18:06:51 UTC 2009

Użytkownik Bernhard Reutner-Fischer napisał:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:50:38AM +0200, W.P. wrote:
>

>> There is a system (Manta "Multimedia Recorder" HDD-2000 = Shenzen Mele
>> HMC-35HD) that was build using (i am almost sure after several hours of
>> googling) using those versions of tools. And binutils: 2.16 or even
>> 2.15. I want to be able to build some kernel modules, so (correct me if
>> I am wrong) I need EXACT versions of tools/configure options to do so.
>>

> for kernel modules it's a 80%-90% yes.
>
>> BTW It looks crazy, those Chinese/Taiwanese developpers (Mele, Edimax,
>> maybe others) seems to be TIED to gcc 3.4.4(3).....
>>

> It is. It's a pity that this way eventual (size)regressions don't get
> fixed. I'f nevertheless try to build the module with 3.4.6 and see if
> that works.
>

>> (look at published Edimax toolchains for BR-6204Wg, BR-6104KP...)
>>
>> BTW2: looks Manta(Poland) violates GPL.... : there is NO mention about
>> sources on their web.
>>

> I think there is a paragraph on the busybox page:
> http://busybox.net/license.html#enforce

Somewhere on the net i've seen sentence about "not being too fast" ->
i'll try to look in a store what EXACTLY comes with that Manta.
At least they agree on their forum that it is Linux based.

Heeelllp. Where may I find buildroot-0.9.28(29)? I mean later than
0.9.27 and earlier than 2009.09.

Why am I asking: in buildroot 0.9.27 I have found patches for gcc 3.4.3
and I need 3.4.4 (google at linux-2.6.12.6-venus to see why).
And in 2009.02 earliest version of patches for gcc is 3.4.6. So there is
a "gap" between files available on buildroot download site.

For binutils i need version 2.15.94 which i may find in 0.9.27.

The rest (if I understand well the build process) is relatively simple:
patching config.in with versions i need?

W.P.