[Buildroot] [RFC] *clean targets

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 09:48:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 10:00:08AM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Le Fri, 9 Oct 2009 09:51:52 +0200,
>Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> a écrit :
>
>> Good to get a discussion on clean targets. They are currently a mess.
>> Thanks for raising the topic and starting a discussion on this topic.
>
>Ignore some of my comments, I didn't see the attached patch (it seems
>it was not inline), making it harder to comment on.
>
> * On the clean target
>
>   I see that all the stamps are removed. So this will trigger
>   basically a reconfigure + rebuild of all packages. Is this what we
>   want ?

yes, this is what i as a user would expect.
Something broke, i have to rebuild stuff, so i
make clean ; make

>   Same question as before: is removing the target/ directory without
>   removing the staging/ directory really safe ?
>
>   Removing $(IMAGE) will not do anything, since $(IMAGE) is the prefix
>   for the filesystem images. I.e, the tar image is $(IMAGE).tar.

the IMAGE was there already. Ask Ulf what it was ment to be.

>   Shouldn't we just remove $(BINARIES_DIR) ?
works for me, but they have to be regenerated anyway, so not much point,
i'd say.

> * Your description mention realclean, but the patch implements dirclean

That was not a patch, it was the start of an explanation of what i
wanted to say.

> * Detail: in dirclean (realclean ?), shouldn't we erase $(BASE_DIR)
>   simply, instead of erasing all individual directories it contains ?

make O=.
pathological case ;)
I don't mind if we just erase BASE_DIR or the directories.

> * On distclean: removing the BUILD_DIR and TOOLCHAIN_DIR is already
>   done by dirclean, on which distclean depends. If clean removes
>   BINARIES_DIR as suggested above, we can also drop this clean here.

that was already mentioned, yes.

> * Documentation (both 'make help' and the HTML documentation)

not a patch.

>Again, thanks a lot for working on this issue.

Please incooperate the comments and provide a real patch that
we can discuss.