[Buildroot] relocation R_MIPS_HI16 against `_gp' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

中原 張 tnndclub at yahoo.com.tw
Wed Oct 7 09:21:45 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am using the MIPS cross toolchain built from buildroot-200908 release.

I choose gcc-4.3.4, binutils-2.19.1, uClibc-0.9.30.1 and linux-2.6.29 in the menuconfig.
The toolchain is generated very well.

After trying to use the toolchain to compile a package, I encounter the following error at link time.
mips-linux-ld:
init_mips.o: relocation R_MIPS_HI16 against `_gp' can not be used when
making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
init_mips.o: could not read symbols: Bad value

Does any one know how to solve this problem?

This
package could be compiled and linked well by using the toolchain
generated from buildroot-200807 release with gcc-4.2.4, binutils-2.18,
uClibc-0.9.29 and linux-2.6.24.