[Buildroot] Non-x86 support question

Michael S. Zick minimod at morethan.org
Fri Nov 27 12:30:42 UTC 2009

On Thu November 26 2009, Peter Korsgaard wrote:

>  Michael> Just wondering, does buildroot get tested as a cross-compiler
>  Michael> building native toolchain?
>
> The BR2_PACKAGE_GCC_TARGET? No, that isn't commonly used. That doesn't
> mean that it shouldn't work ofcourse.
>
>  Michael> There is a similar bug posted, which I think refers to building
>  Michael> the foreign, native, compiler.
>  Michael> At least that is my own problem.  ;)
>
>  Michael> In my case, gcc's configure is failing when it tries to test for
>  Michael> the presence of mpfr (which is present, and built) - - -
>  Michael> (No problem with gpm)
>
> Hmm, it worked for me last time I tried (some time this summer).
>
>  Michael> I have captured the configure command being run and the test file,
>  Michael> then ran them "by hand" with -v the best I can figure out at
>  Michael> that point is:
>
> Could you provide a bit more details? What goes wrong?

One more note while waiting for me to document this in a true bug-report.

I considered handling gpm and mpf as "patches" to gcc - -
Since gcc will configure and build them if it finds them in its source tree.

I made up a gcc tarball along those lines and tried it - -
Same result - cross-compiler builds, native-compiler fails to configure
while testing for mpf header files (two or three missing and/or renamed symbols).

As a reminder: this is gcc-4.3.x targeting MIPS (32-R2, 24Kc, hard-float).
gcc-4.4.x is hopeless for MIPS at the moment, implements an ABI change for MIPS,
mostly in how structures are packed.

Mike