[Buildroot] Problem using net-snmp and Buildroot

Michael S. Zick minimod at morethan.org
Thu Nov 26 15:27:00 UTC 2009

On Thu November 26 2009, Peter Korsgaard wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  Luca> Dear Peter,
>  Luca> following your istructions:
>  Luca> dpkg -l \*snmp\*|grep ii
>  Luca> ii  libsnmp-base                               5.4.1~dfsg-12ubuntu3
>  Luca> SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) MI
>  Luca> ii  libsnmp15                                   5.4.1~dfsg-12ubuntu3
>  Luca> SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) li
>
>  Luca> mounting the rootfs.i486.ext2 (used 2009.11-rc1 and net-snmp 5.5):
>  Luca> # snmpd -v
>  Luca> snmpd: can't load library 'libcrypto.so.0.9.8'
>  Luca> that I found in the host-lib directory , while in the  target-lib  I
>  Luca> have libcrypt-0.9.30.1.so.
>
> You should also have a libcrypto on the target. E.G. with the config you
> posted I have:
>
> file /tmp/br/target/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8                      ~
> /tmp/br/target/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped
>
> If not, it sounds like something goes wrong with the openssl compilation
> and something gets confused about host/target.
>
> I haven't been able to reproduce it with your config, but I'm on a
> x86-64 host, so that might be why - Sorry, I don't have any 32bit
> PCs any more.

Sure you do, it is hidden inside of your x86_64 box.  ;)

Install the Linux-Vserver patch, set the option to emulate 32bit
in your kernel config, build and boot kernel, install your choice
of 32bit distributions in an ARCH=x86 guest context.

I currently run Gentoo-32bit, Debian-32bit, Ubuntu-32bit on my
x86-64 box (all at the same time). It is a Core2Quad box.
Ah, yes, I also run the same threesum in 64bit also at the same time.

Bottom of the page: http://linux-vserver.org/Welcome_to_Linux-VServer.org
That project's idea of "Experimental" puts other project's idea of "Stable"
to shame.  ;)

Mike