[Buildroot] How do I configure the kernel?

Nicholas Walton nwalton at aplopteng.com
Sat Nov 21 18:20:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2009-11-20, Nicholas Walton <nwalton at aplopteng.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Grant Edwards
>><grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> How do you configure the kernel when using buildroot?
>>
>> make linux26-menuconfig
>
> Doh!  I trield make kernel-menuconfig and several other
> variations.  For future reference, is there somewhere that's
> documented?

I don't recall. I think I found it by bash autocomplete on make.

> The next question was going to be where do I put a kernel
> .config file if I already have one I want to use.  I can
> probably do a "find" to search for files named .config and
> figure out which is the right one. Then I assume I do "make
> linux26-oldconfig"?

In target/devices/{manufacturer}/{board} as linux-{version}.config, if
I recall correctly. You can automatically create or update the
appropriate file with "make linux26-update". And either menuconfig or
oldconfig will fetch the linux-{version}.config file if
output/build/linux-$version/.config does not exist.

Nicholas